Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, November 26, 2010

Chew on This | On a Mission Meatloaf

This is my husband's favorite dinner...he even named it!


When I'm missing at dinner, 'cause of meetings, events or whatever,  I jokingly
tell The Man I'm going on a mission.  That's his opportunity to ask for this meatloaf, hence 
the name.  And believe me, he's not at all shy about asking for it.

For me, it's like “priming the pump”. He’s happy and I don’t feel so guilty if I’m not at the  dinner table with him.  


When it's On a Mission Meatloaf for dinner, he hardly knows I’m missing!!!




This is what you will need to make On a Mission Meatloaf:
Ground beef, onions, garlic, sharp cheddar cheese, oats, an egg, Worcestershire sauce, milk (not pictured),  and salt and pepper. For the glaze you will need:  ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.  Optional:  hot sauce or cayenne to kick it up.
 

Dice a large onion and mince the garlic.  Measure the ketchup, mustard, and a generous cup   of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and oats.


I use my largest skillet and mix all the ingredients, including the ground beef, in it ‘cause that way I don’t have to wash a bowl and it does grease the pan so there's no sticking.


Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and...


slightly mix the egg and drop it in.

      

In goes the milk.


With your hands, clean hands of course, mix it all up!!!


I use about 2 ½ pounds of ground beef and make 2 loaves, eat-one-now-save-one-for-later.

Before the meatloaf goes in the oven make the glaze.


Combine the ketchup, mustard, and the brown sugar and stir until smooth.

Spread the glaze over the top and sides of the meatloaf.


I always drop in a few potatoes and my dinner is almost put together.


Bake it now.


All done.

Make it once, and I betcha you'll find "On a Mission Meatloaf" means mission accomplished!


Mimi

Here is the recipe:

On a Mission Meatloaf

2 1/2-3 lbs. ground beef
3/4C  oats
1C  shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 large onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, slightly beaten
dash of Worchestershire sauce
3/4t  mustard
1/4C  ketchup
salt and pepper to taste
Optional:  dash of hot sauce or cayenne to kick it up a notch

For glaze:   
1/3C ketchup
1/3-1/2C brown sugar
2t mustard 

Dice 1 large onion and mince 2 or 3 garlic cloves. 

In a large skillet, combine the ground beef, oats, shredded cheddar cheese, the onion, garlic, slightly beaten egg, ketchup, mustard, a dash of Worchestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. 
If using hot sauce or cayenne, add it now.

With clean hands, mix all the ingredients until well blended.  Shape into 2 loaves or one
large loaf.  Drop in a few potatoes and your dinner will finished when the timer goes off.

Glaze:
Combine the brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup and stir until blended.  Cover the top
and the sides of the meatloaf.

Bake the meatloaves for  1 1/2 hours at 350℉.  If making one large loaf adjust baking
time.

No comments:

Post a Comment