Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Monday, January 10, 2011

Chew on This | Quick Cake

Have you ever had a Chocolate Attack?

When my sister and I were kids Mimi used to have Chocolate Attacks.  
Big.  Huge.  Enormous chocolate cravings.  

She still suffers from these attacks.



Fortunately, Mimi kept (and still keeps) hidden stashes of chocolate goods around the house.  
I never, ever looked for those hidden goodies as a kid.  Really.  I never did.

My sister is also a chocolate lover, I mean, a Chocolate Attack sufferer.
She started hoarding chocolate early on, hiding it under her bed.  Our dog, Kassie, found her stash once and pretty much devoured it.  Kassie suffered no major side effect from eating all the chocolate. 
(The major side effect being death - do not let your dogs eat chocolate!)



Back to my sister....she still hides chocolate.  Though, not under the bed.  And not where my sweet 
niece and nephew can find it. 
She does this to ease any suffering.

I have started suffering from Chocolate Attacks.  
It's obviously a genetic thing.  
Darn genes.

I was having a severe attack the other week.  Unfortunately, I do not stash, hoard or hide chocolate....yet.  So you can imagine how destitute I felt when I couldn't find chocolate!!  Not one thing of the chocolate persuasion could be found and eaten quickly.

So, I resorted to making a dense and delicious chocolate cake at 9:30pm.  
Whatever.  The suffering must end.

Here's to hoping this speedy concoction helps you when you're feeling an attack coming on!


Ingredients:  boxed cake mix, a box of instant pudding, applesauce, eggs, sour cream, cream cheese and chocolate chips.

Put everything in a bowl , except the chocolate chips, and mix.



Fold in your chocolate chips.  Place in a prepared tube pan and bake.


Soon, my precious.  Soon....


Cut a slice and eat immediately.  Gooey, hot and creamy chocolate.  Drool.



Hi, my name is Cares and I suffer from Chocolate Attacks.  The End.

Cares


Here's the recipe:

Quick Cake

1 box prepared cake mix (any flavor, preferably chocolate)
1 box instant pudding (any flavor, preferably chocolate)
1/2 cup applesauce
3 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream ( or you could use plain greek yogurt, I do all the time)
1/2 cup softened cream cheese (or softened mascarpone cheese)
1 T instant coffee or espresso granules (optional - though it deepens the beautiful chocolate flavor)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350℉.  
Prepare a tube pan by spraying with baking spray and a light dusting of flour or, better yet, cocoa powder.

Combine first seven ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Fold in chocolate chips and pour 
into prepared tube pan.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until top of cake is no longer wiggly.  Don't over cook.

For good measure, take some of those chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup) and add 1/4 cup heavy cream (or milk, if that's all you've got).  Put in the microwave for 30 seconds on half power.  Stir until smooth - you may need to heat the ganache for another 20-30 seconds more (at half power).  Pour over your cake  and enjoy instant relief! 

No comments:

Post a Comment