Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thoughts | Intruders



The Husband was out of town. It was 3:33 am.


I snap awake hearing the creak of the hard wood floor. Foot steps coming determinedly towards my room. The dog didn't bark. Or even budge. That prickly fear started bubbling up. His dark outline standing there in my doorway.


He was a lot shorter then I expected (though for a five year old, he stands head and shoulders above his peers). I caught my breath and tried to slow my furiously beating heart. The Boy quickly climbed in on my right. Unbeknownst to me, The Sprite was already occupying my left side. Unlike her brother, she is very stealth.


My fear ebbed, I kissed each warm body next to me and put my head back on the pillow. I listened to them breath. Their inhale and exhale faster then my own, but peaceful and beautifully rhythmic. I touched their cheeks. So soft and still full. Not yet showing the angular shape of older children. There's still some baby left in these babies of mine.


The Boy said, "Goodnight Mama."
The Sprite wrapped her hand in mine.


I did not sleep.


Cares



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the cry. That was absolutely beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete