Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Monday, October 17, 2011

Chew on This | Pumpkin Custard with Pepita Brittle


Have you ever had an infected taste bud? One, single solitary bud on your tongue becomes irritated, swollen and sensitive. It's an interesting phenomenon and I had one over the weekend.



It lasted maybe 8 hours. Nothing significant and I really didn't notice it much. I've had infected taste buds maybe 5 other times in my entire life and I have a theory as to why. Now, I didn't do any Google searches to confirm, dispute or scare myself to death as to a true possible cause for an infected taste bud. I do believe, in my case, I suffered from this anomaly because, well, I've been eating too much sugar.


Ridiculous, right? Well, I think it's probably true. So, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and make Pumpkin Custard with Pepita (pumpkin seed) Brittle. Sounds absolutely logical to me.


The Pumpkin Custard recipe is adapted from whole living and is really delicious and smacks you in face with a sweet dose of Fall. The Pepita Brittle is my recipe and was added because I figured, why not guild the lily for goodness sake.


Enjoy these cups of sweetness and I shall seriously consider reducing my sugar intake.

Cares


Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Custard with Pepita Brittle
(serves six)

Pumpkin Custard (adapted from whole living):
3/4 C canned pumpkin puree
2 eggs
12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
1 t vanilla
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
2 t cornstarch
2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 350℉.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, evaporated milk and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients - brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Pour mixture into six small ramekins.

Place ramekins into a 9x13" baking dish and add warm water around the ramekins until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups. Into the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until custard is set. Allow to cool and then serve with Pepita Brittle.


Pepita Brittle - made in the microwave:
1 C salted, dry roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 C sugar
3/4 C light corn syrup
2 T butter
1 t vanilla 
1 t baking soda
cookie sheet, prepared with a light coating of cooking spray


In a microwave safe bowl, stir together pepitas, sugar and corn syrup. Cook on high in your microwave for *4 1/2 minutes or until mixture is bubbling. Carefully take bowl out of the microwave and add in your butter and vanilla. Stir to combine thoroughly. Return bowl to the microwave and cook on high for *2 minutes.
Again, take the bowl carefully from the microwave and add in your baking soda.  Stir until mixture looks foamy. Pour brittle onto a prepared cookie sheet and allow to set for 20-30 minutes.
*My microwave is 1200 watts - depending on your microwave wattage, you may have to cook for a longer or shorter period of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment