Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, October 21, 2011

Chew on This | Spicy Sweet Chicken Wings


For what ever reason, I have deemed certain food 'weekend food'. Weekend food is food that I do not partake in during a regular weekday, in theory. Well, not in theory, in actuality. For instance, you're not going to find me eating fondue on a weeknight. Fondue is unequivocally a weekend food. As is a hot fudge sundae. Ham. And soft pretzels.

Pizza seems like it should be a weekend food, is probably consumed most often on the weekends, but gets a pass because pizza cannot be bound by such restraints. 

Yes, I know, I have quirks. 


Regardless of my quirkiness, chicken wings make my 'weekend food' list. And since the weekend begins this evening, let us prepare by making these awesome Spicy Sweet Chicken Wings.

These babies are baked, not fried. Which makes kitchen clean up so much easier. Oh, yes, and baking makes the wings a bit healthier. But a little prep is needed to ensure maximum wing deliciousness.

I used three pounds of wings and dredged them in a flavorful flour/spice mix. Then I put them into the refrigerator, on two cookie sheets, for a good two hours. 

When the wings are ready for the oven, I mixed up a spicy sweet sauce and dunked each wing in the sauce thoroughly before placing them back onto the cookie sheets and then into the oven.


First bite, the spice is definitely present. Followed by a sweetness, from the honey, that does temper the heat some. Yum, they're really good! Perfect 'weekend food', if I do deem so myself!

Cares

Here's our recipe:

Spicy Sweet Chicken Wings
3 pounds chicken wings
1 C flour
1 t seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t ground pepper
1/2 C honey
1/2 C hot sauce (I used Frank's)
2 T melted butter

Prepare two cookie sheets by covering with foil and lightly spraying with cooking spray.

In a gallon re-sealable bag combine, flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and place chicken into the bag and shake to coat. Place chicken onto cookie sheets and place sheets into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400℉. 

In a mixing bowl, whisk together honey, hot sauce and butter. Remove chicken from the refrigerator and individually dunk wings into the sauce. Put chicken back onto the cookie sheets and place into the oven. Bake chicken for approximately 45-50 minutes, turning chicken half way through the baking process. Serve with celery and blue cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment