Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, April 13, 2012

Chew on This | Turkey Lettuce Wraps

I bought some ground turkey the other day without any idea of what I'd use it for. I figured that at some point inspiration would take over and a meal would magically appear. 


Well, that turkey stared me down every time I opened the refrigerator. I just wasn't feeling it and was beginning to feel intimidated. Then I saw that the expiration date was fast approaching and I would have to make a quick decision, freeze or cook. I wasn't going to be bested by some ground turkey so I decided to cook.

But what? I thought a turkey burger sounded boring. Turkey chili, not something I wanted to fool with. Turkey tacos? Ehhh, not so much. I was stumped until I had to run some errands and passed by PF Chang's. Oh, lettuce wraps!

Satisfying, to be sure. You've got sweet and savory all wrapped up in a snappy romaine leaf. The Sprite and I happily had these for lunch while oohing and aahhing over my clever use of ground turkey. Well, maybe I was the only one oohing and aahhing, no matter. 

If you've got some ground turkey taunting you, give it a purpose and make these yummy lettuce wraps. Enjoy!


Cares

Here's our recipe:

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

2 T canola oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and chopped
8 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
salt, pepper, garlic powder - to taste
romaine leaves, washed and dried

Sauce:
1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
1/4 C honey
1 t minced ginger
1 t minced garlic
1 T spicy brown mustard

In a sauté pan, warm your oil over medium heat and brown your ground turkey with the onion. Add your mushrooms, water chestnuts and seasoning. Stir to incorporate.

While your turkey is browning, prepare your sauce. In a small bowl, combine all of your sauce ingredients and whisk vigorously. Taste to ensure you like the balance of flavors. Add half of your sauce to the sauté pan and stir to coat (because the turkey has so little fat, it will really soak up the sauce). Take the turkey mixture off the heat and pour on the rest of your sauce.

Spoon the meat mixture into your romaine leaves and serve. Great as an appetizer or a simple meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment