Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Monday, July 23, 2012

Chew on This | Cookie Butter Truffles

The first I had ever heard of speculoos paste was when my sister sang its praises to me after an overseas flight attendant friend brought it back for her from Belgium. Speculoos are thin crisp caramelized biscuits (cookies). Speculoos paste is made from these cookies and combined with other good things to make a spread. A spread to be used not unlike that of peanut butter or Nutella.

My sister, well she fell hard for the stuff. As in, hide-it-from-the-family-and eat-it-with-a-spoon, love with it. The speculoos jar became coveted and the fangs would come out if someone even suggested she share.


Fortunately, her sweet friend became her speculoos supplier. But it's not like she was flying to Belgium ever five minutes. And my sister's need was beginning to outweigh the supply. Trouble ahead. Or so she thought.

+

Fortunately, Trader Joe's swooped in for the rescue. They introduced their own version of speculoos and called it Cookie Butter. A collective sigh of relief could be heard across the nation. And quite audibly at my sister's house. You've got to love Trader Joe's for being so attuned to the needs of speculoos lovers every where. 


So, thanks to my sister, I've gladly hopped upon the Cookie Butter bandwagon. The Sprite (my daughter) has as well. I've caught that little sneak in the pantry eyeing the Cookie Butter jar and looking guilty. She denied any wrong doing until I asked to smell her breath. 

Yeah, I know your moves little Sprite. I invented them. Well, actually, your aunt invented them and I just learned by example.


Cookie Butter truffles are good. Sisters and daughters will love them. Others will love them too. If they get the opportunity to try one.




Cares

Here's our recipe:

Cookie Butter Truffles
(makes about 30 truffles)

2 C finely crushed vanilla wafers or graham crackers
1 C cookie butter (speculoos)
1 1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 C heavy cream
2 T cocoa powder - optional


In a medium bowl, combine your crushed vanilla wafers (or graham crackers) and cookie butter. Wet your hands and use them to thoroughly mix your ingredients. Next, using a small melon baller or a spoon, scoop up some batter and roll the batter in your hands to create a small, round truffle. Place truffle onto a cookie sheet and continue making truffles until all of your batter is used. Place cookie sheet into the refrigerator or freezer to set truffles while you make the chocolate ganache to cover the truffles.


To make the ganache, combine your chocolate chips and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 20 seconds intervals, stirring after each 20 second interval. Do this until chocolate is just slightly softened and then stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drop several truffles into the chocolate at a time and turn to coat thoroughly. Remove the truffles with a fork, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off, before place truffles back onto the cookie sheet. When all of your truffles are coated, return the cookie sheet to the refrigerator or freezer to set the chocolate, about 15-30 minutes. Before serving, dust with cocoa powder if desired. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I have a hide-it-from-my-family-and-eat-it-with-a-spoon relationship with Nutella. Explains a lot when people question the size of my thighs. But who cares.

    And your truffles......sigh. Oh, your truffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying for an excuse to buy a jar of cookie butter, and I think this is it. I had my first taste of it this Sunday and absolutely melted. I'm thinking of looking at the ingredients list when I do buy it and trying to make my own--any thoughts on whether or not that sounds feasible? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious yes! I think making your own sounds like a fabulous idea. Using some kind of crisp, buttery, carmel-y cookie, butter/coconut oil mix, spices...yum! Let me know how it comes out 😃 - Cares

      Delete
  3. They look tooooo good... Mouthwatering

    Sowmya
    http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete