Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chew on This | Lemon Ricotta Fritters

Hi. I was wondering how you feel about fried foods. For or against?

I fall into that grey area that tells people I'm against fried foods because they're unhealthy, greasy and bad, bad, bad. But actually I think fried foods are delicious, covet-worthy and yum, yum, yum. 

And truly, in real, real reality, I don't often eat fried foods and almost never, ever make them. 

I know, boring. Don't allow discouragement to overcome you. I will redeem myself right here. Today. Lemon Ricotta Fritters.


I'm going a bit against the grain here. Fall = apple fritters. Right?

Not today. Today we have absolutely perfect Lemon Ricotta Fritters. They'll make your knees wobbly. 


Cares

Here's the recipe:

Lemon Ricotta Fritters
(recipe adapted from Bobby Flay)
makes about 20-24 fritters

2-3 C canola oil
3/4 C flour
2 t baking powder
2 t lemon zest
1/2 t salt
1 C ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 T sugar

1 t lemon zest for garnish
1/4 C powdered sugar for garnish

Heat your oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan until the temperature reaches 370℉.

To make your fritter dough, stir together your flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together your ricotta cheese, eggs, vanilla and sugar. Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Gently drop spoonfuls of dough into the hot oil, working in batches. Fry fritters, turning them often, until deep golden brown (3-4 minutes per batch). Place each finished batch onto paper towels to drain off oil. Garnish fritters with lots of powdered sugar and lemon zest. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll be forgiven for frying! These sound and look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete