Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chew on This | Overnight Coconut Chocolate Oatmeal

I've been finding that it is a major chore to peel myself out of my bed each morning these past few days. Blankets pulled up to my chin, warm and deliciously cozy, it feels wrong to be getting the day started. It's too dark, too early. Too morning.


Surprisingly, the kids feel the same way. Those little cherubs, who usually pop out of bed before dawn, have been snuggled in, not wanting me to bother them. Not wanting me to disrupt their peaceful state. 

They're getting kind of grumpy about it, actually. Grumpy is not a good way to start the day. It can linger and it can grow into inflamed attitudes. 

Neither grumpy nor inflamed lamentations are welcome at our breakfast table. Even from me. So I coax and coddle with Coconut Chocolate Oatmeal. And to save my sanity, I make it before I go to bed. 

Win!


Save yourself from the grumbling masses. Give yourself a few extra minutes cuddled under the blankets. Make this yummy oatmeal for tomorrow morning.



Cares

Here's our recipe:

Overnight Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal
1 1/2 C coconut milk
1 1/2 C water
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 C steel cut oats
1/4 C honey
1/2 t salt
dash of cinnamon

Garnish: shredded coconut and mini chocolate chips

To start, prepare your slow cooker. Do this by generously spraying the inner container of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Next, add all of your ingredients into the container. Whisk vigorously to combine thoroughly. Cover and cook* on low for approximately 6 1/2 hours or on high for approximately 3 hours.

When the oatmeal is finished, spoon into bowls and garnish with shredded coconut and mini chocolate chips. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to a week. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of coconut milk.

*All slow cookers are different. Cook times may vary. I suggest first trying out this recipe during a weekend day to confirm the length of time you're slow cooker will need to cook but not burn your oatmeal. Also, I used a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker, a larger size works just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment