Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Chew on This | Creamy Leek and Brie Soup

What can one say about a week like we have had here in the U.S.? Boston. Texas. It has been horrendous, frightening and unimaginable. 

I am so, so sorry for those who were lost, those who have lost loved ones and friends, those struggling to survive, those struggling to recover.

I am thankful for all of those amazing people, angels, who came to the aid and rescue of those in need. Who held the hands of those hurting, who pulled people to safety, who risked their lives to save others. 

Thank you.


These scary times can make it easy for fear to crawl into our minds and hearts and nest and fester and grow. And I must admit, I swam with the continual waves of uncertainty and fear a lot this week. I wanted to shut the doors and close it down. 

But I couldn't stop watching and hoping for good. I couldn't stop doing my best to ease the growing fear I heard in my babies voices. I didn't turn away because I saw the overwhelming love and goodness of people. The down right selflessness. And the heartfelt appreciation.

I couldn't turn away because these are my people. I love my people. I love your people, too. And yours. And yours. And yours. And yours.



Love. 

Choose Love. Choose Love.


Cares



Here's Mimi's recipe:

Mimi makes this crazy amazing and comforting soup. It will warm your insides and soothe your soul.

Creamy Leek and Brie Soup

2 C chopped leeks, white and tender green portions, rinsed of all dirt and grit
1/4 C chopped celery
1 /2 C chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely minced
3 T butter
2 1/2 C peeled, cubed potatoes
1/2 t dried thyme, or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
6 C of chicken stock
1 C heavy cream
8 oz. cubed Brie, rind removed
1/2 C lightly packed, stemmed spinach

Optional garnish:
sour cream (thinned with a bit of milk to a drizzle over top of the soup)
garlic croutons 

In a large sauce pan, sauté' leeks, celery, onions, and garlic in butter until soft. Add the chicken stock, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add cream and cubed Brie, a few cubes at a time. Whisk
until blended after each addition.

Continue a very gently boil for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Adjust
seasonings, if necessary.

Pour 1/3 of the soup into a blender container and add 1/3 of the spinach. Puree until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup and spinach in 2 batches. Return blended
soup to sauce pan and heat to desired serving temperature.

Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with swirls of sour cream and/or a few garlic croutons. Serve immediately.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment