Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chew on This | Warm Rosemary Bean Dip

Last Thursday I was sitting at the kitchen table enjoying the peaceful quiet while one kid was playing outside and the other was reading a book. A glorious fall evening, I had the doors open and was gazing out into the backyard when suddenly a mass of movement crossed my line of vision. The mass landed with a loud thud onto the porch, right outside my door.


My first fleeting thought was that the mass was a ball that The Boy was throwing around, it finding its way onto the porch. But I knew quite quickly that I had made an incorrect assumption, replaying in my mind what I had actually seen. Standing, looking, seeing - I confirmed that the mass was two birds that had some how managed to collide, mid-air, and fall to the porch. They didn't move. They didn't move.

I couldn't believe it. I was equal parts sad and dismayed that these sweet, tiny birds perished before my eyes. I stood there looking at them in a bit of a stupor when one of them abruptly flipped over, sitting himself upright. Gasping, I said a little pray of thanks and continued watching, waiting, formulating a plan of how I would carefully collect the bird and get it to a wildlife rehabilitor. While making calls and getting organized, that birdie found its strength and was able to fly away. Right before my eyes! It was truly amazing! Yet, his companion was not going to be so fortunate. During that hour I did see him trying to move a few times and thought, "Hurray! Both will live!" - but he soon stilled, and stayed that way long after his friend left.   


Knowing that the second bird had probably passed, the evening dragged on as I looked out the door almost continuously, hoping. I could hardly keep focused on any one thing, except the bird. As the sky grew dark I turned on the lights for another check and was stunned. That second bird has righted himself and moved several feet to the left. What!?! And when I looked again, he was gone. 

I tell you, in those hours witnessing, watching, waiting…I experienced a roller coaster of emotions. What I came away with was an appreciation for the struggle and perseverance of all creatures - bird and human alike.


Cares


Here's our recipe:

A delicious, soothing, stick-to-your-bones dip that will keep everyone coming back for more. Perfect for get-togethers or as a meal. Enjoy!

Warm Rosemary Bean Dip

1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 T butter
2 (15 ounces) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
2 large sprigs rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/3 C heavy cream (milk or chicken broth could be used in place of heavy cream)

In a sauté pan, over medium-low heat, melt your butter and add your onions. Cook onions until they just start to caramelize (about 20 minutes). Add in your beans, rosemary sprigs, and salt and pepper, toss to incorporate and coat beans. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until beans are soft. Add in your heavy cream (or other chosen liquid) and stir. Some of your beans will begin to break down and the dip will really thicken up - if you prefer and thinner dip, add more liquid. Remove from heat, place into a serving bowl and serve with chips, veggies, and/or French baguette. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment