Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Chew on This | Sausage and Mushroom Bread Pudding

Christmas decorating was started over the weekend. With just a few tweaks here and there, I should be finished in no time. And, fingers crossed (and if the children are back in school sans sickness this week), I should also have Christmas cards and present buying completed by the end of the week. It's a lot to get done and making a list (and checking it twice) helps me accomplish so much. 

When making a list, my preferred choice is written. Because let's not underestimate the satisfaction of scratching a huge task off the list once it's completed. Oh, so nice. Yet, I have found that I can make 'reminder' lists on my cell phone. What I love about this technological step forward is that I can still mark tasks completed, a huge gratification factor for me. And, I can set reminder alarms for each task!! So, if complacency is setting in....BOOM! Some kind of crazy alarm will blare and remind me to get my backside moving.


Yes, I can certainly turn off the alarm and ignore the task. Been there, done that. But I can also set the reminder alarm to ring every day, at a specified time, until I, hopefully, get the work done. Can my written list do that?? No. No, it cannot. Is that why I still prefer written lists? Yes. Yes, it is.


Cares




Here's our recipe:



A savory bread pudding is just the thing you need to warm up your dinner tonight. Easy prep with a delicious outcome. Enjoy!

Sausage and Mushroom Bread Pudding

1 pound spicy (bulk) sausage
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 T butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (I used mini bellas)
1 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 C gruyere cheese, grated
5 1/2 - 6 C bread, cut into 1" cubes (I used a French baguette)
5 eggs
1 C milk
1 C heavy cream
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

9x13" casserole dish, generously buttered or sprayed with non-stick baking spray
Preheat oven to 350℉.

In a large sautĂ© pan over medium heat, cook your sausage. Use a large fork to break the sausage into small pieces while it is browning. Add in your Worcestershire sauce while the sausage is browning. Sausage should take about 10 minutes to cook through. Once done, transfer the sausage to a larger mixing bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.

Turn the heat down to medium-low, add in 1 T of butter. Add in your onions and garlic, stir to coat thoroughly in fat. Next, pour in the mushrooms. Cook until onions and mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion/mushroom mixture to the mixing bowl with the sausage. Toss all ingredients to incorporate. Add in the cheeses and mix. Set aside.

Place your bread cubes, in a single layer, on the bottom of your prepared casserole dish. Evenly distribute the sausage/mushroom/cheese mixture over the top of the bread cubes. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, and salt and pepper. Pour this mixture evenly over the the bread and sausage in the casserole dish. Cover with tin foil and allow the dish to sit for at least 15-20 minutes before baking.

When ready to bake, place dish into the oven, covered with foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, covered. Remove foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment