Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Monday, November 7, 2011

Chew on This | Crazy Cooking Challenge - Mashed Potatoes

Photobucket

Hi there! Welcome to month two of the Crazy Cooking Challenge!

Our challenge dish this month.....mashed potatoes.



Mashed potatoes are a glorious thing. They add completion to a dinner 
plate and warm and cozy to the belly.


The Crazy Cooking Challenges provide us participants the opportunity to
peruse the blogging world and find a recipe that delights our senses.
I found that recipe at Pickypalate.com. Titled, Smoky and Cheesy Buttermilk 
Baked Mashed Potatoes, I was completely sold.




I wasn't quite sure that my kids would be sold. I resolved to not mention the
smoky part of the recipe and just focus on the cheesy aspect. 




I need not have worried. These delicious potatoes hit the spot on so many levels.
I adored the smokiness. Not so surprisingly, The Sprite noticed the smokiness 
too, and fell in love. The cheeses and the buttermilk added an amazing
richness so that The Boy and Husband were immediately won over as well.


These mashed potatoes were devoured! A very good choice indeed! 

Cares


Here's the recipe:

Smoky and Cheesy Buttermilk Baked Mashed Potatoes
(recipe from Pickypalate.com)

3 lbs. Russet potatoes
4 T butter
3 T cream cheese
1 t sea salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t smoked paprika
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 C buttermilk
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 375℉. 

Peel and cube your potatoes and place them into a stock pot or Dutch oven. Cover potatoes with water and place over high heat, bringing the water to a boil. Cook your potatoes approximately 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.

When the potatoes are ready, drain your pot and transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add your butter and cream cheese and mix (with an electric mixer) on low to combine. Add all of your seasonings and buttermilk and continue to mix until potatoes are smooth and creamy.

Transfer your mashed potatoes to an oven safe baking dish and top with your cheddar cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

9 comments:

  1. They look wonderful! I would love the smokey flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked these when I was looking for my CCC recipe. Now I'll definitely have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like a great side dish! Never would have thought of smokey flavor with mashed potatoes but you have me sold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very delicious sounding with the smoked paprika.

    If you haven't already I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry Aloo Tikki

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the combination of the cheese and Smoked Paprika, we will really enjoy this dish. Great recipe for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great day.
    Miz Helen
    #8

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm... these look so incredibly good. I love cheese in my potatoes, but with the smoked paprika, yes please. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued by the smokey flavor. Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the smoked paprika addition, and the color on those potatoes :) Nice pick for CCC.

    I'm #71!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/11/crazy-cooking-challenge-and-loaded.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paprika and potatoes were made for each other!

    Jen #14
    Jenny's Cookbook

    ReplyDelete