Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, July 8, 2011

Chew on This | Monte Cristo Sandwich



It was a big day here yesterday. The Husband's birthday! I decided to make him something he craves often, but rarely gets to have. The Monte Cristo Sandwich. Indulgence on a plate, I tell you. 


I make this sandwich according to what I know will spark joyful eating bliss for the Husband. Cheese, lots of it. Cheddar and Gruyere. A spicy green chile spread.


Roasted turkey and Black Forest ham. Batter that baby up and let it fry. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry or blackberry preserves to dip the sandwich.

I know. It's savory, gooey, salty, tart and sweet - all in one bite. Just like the Husband!


Happy Birthday Husband!


Cares

Here's the recipe:

Monte Cristo Sandwich

Batter:
2/3 C water
1 egg
2/3 C flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1 t sugar

In a bowl, whisk together water and egg. Next add, your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and whisk until there are no lumps. Set in the refrigerator to chill until ready for use.

Sandwich:
4 slices bread
turkey
black forest ham
cheddar cheese
gruyere cheese
toothpicks - to hold sandwich together


Sauce:
1 can green chiles (14 ounces)
2 T mayonnaise
1 T Dijon mustard


Accompaniments:
raspberry preserves
powdered sugar

1/2 - 1 C oil - for frying sandwich

Start by warming oil in a sauté pan. I only use 1/2 cup because I don't want my sandwich completely submersed in oil, but need enough to fry the batter on the sandwich.


Make your sauce by stirring chiles, mayonnaise and Dijon together in a small bowl.

Prepare sandwiches by spreading each slice of bread with chile sauce on one side. Now begin to layer your turkey, ham and cheeses on only two slices of bread and top each sandwich with it's remaining slice. Insert four toothpicks to hold sandwich together when frying.

Dip each sandwich into the chilled batter and place into the sauté pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Cut into quarters, remove toothpicks and plate sandwiches. Dust sandwiches lightly with powdered sugar and serve with a side of raspberry preserves.

       Cast Party Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites! Do you like croque monsieur too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! This recipe would be perfect for my Cast Party Wednesday Link Party. Would you come over and share some of your tasty recipes with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I would love to see more of your recipes tomorrow!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete