Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, September 2, 2011

Chew on This | Peaches and Sweetened Cream


Isn't it amazing when a memory from your past comes flooding back into your mind in crisp, vivid detail? And what brings on that memory can by so random sometimes. A song, a smell or a simple phrase. 



Tasting this delicious dish today rushed me back to a time at my grandparent's (Mudgie and BooBoo) house when I was a whippersnapper. They lived a mere fifteen minutes away from us and we spent a lot of time visiting with them. Of course we spent much of that time in the kitchen and my sister and I would race for the olive green breakfast bar stool so we could have perfect perching position to listen to the adult conversation.


That bar stool was also command center for mixing our own glass of Tang. Remember that stuff? My grandma would allow us to spoon in as much sugary sweet powder as we wanted. It was awesome! Anyway, that kitchen and that bar stool seized my synapses when I tasted my first bite of these peaches with sweetened cream. 

It took me back to the time when we had a crazy peach extravaganza. It was a hot, hot summer day. Mimi had made a peach pie that was mounded with perfectly ripe peaches and meringue. It had to have been at least a foot tall. Really. Well, it seemed that tall to my young self. And it was one of the best things I had ever eaten. Until I ate my grandpa's peach ice cream.


He churned that ice cream with an old fashioned crank maker he had purchased just for this peachy occasion. And when I tasted it....it blew my young mind! I have never, never, found another peach ice cream to compare. It was magnificent. 

And today, eating this incredible dish of peaches and sweetened cream, I was pulled back to this happy, happy memory. My wonderful family, our splendid times together and our delicious food.

I wonder what memories this dish might conjure up for you? I hope they're sweet!


Cares


Here's the recipe:

Peaches and Sweetened Cream
makes four servings
(adapted from The Crossroads)

1 C heavy cream
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 T honey
1 T sugar
1 t vanilla
pinch of salt
2 peaches, peeled and sliced

In a small sauce pan, combine milk and egg whites and cook over medium-low heat. Continuously whisk mixture, do not let milk come to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for five minutes and then add your honey, sugar, vanilla and salt. After simmering for another two minutes, remove from heat and strain. 

Pour cream into a dish and cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic gently touches the surface of the cream. Refrigerate to chill. Cream thickens as it cools.

When ready to serve, peel and slice your peaches. Place peaches into a pretty serving dish and cover with sweetened cream. Enjoy!

    Tidy Mom Miz Helen’s Country Cottage  Button  

7 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic! My favorite kind of dessert - fruity and creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precious sweet memories-for both of us.
    Love you, Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a perfect dessert treat for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks light, cool, and refreshing! I love peaches and it's still hot here in Georgia. I want a dessert like this. I'd like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/09/sweet-indulgences-sunday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love simple recipes like this. Perfect for a hot summer day or after a heavy meal.

    Thanks for stopping by Sweet Tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness,
    This is a soul food dessert and a little bit of heaven! Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks quite yummy, I am so super glad to see it linked up at Tea Party Tuesday. Light and fluffy delight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete