Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chew on This | Crazy Cooking Challenge - Chocolate Cake

Photobucket

Welcome all, to another installment of the Crazy Cooking Challenge!
This month we were unleashed onto the interwebs to find 
the ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe. A lovely challenge because who
doesn't adore Chocolate Cake? I adore Chocolate Cake.


I adore Chocolate Cake so much that you'll often hear me complaining 
about not having any. All the time. Just ask The Husband. 

For instance, The Husband will often times ask me if I would like him to get me a snack.
 I'll say, "Yes. I'll have some Chocolate Cake."
He answers with, "Do we have any Chocolate Cake?"
"Ummm, no." I say.
"What else could I get you?" he sweetly asks. Which inadvertently drives 
me insane because all I want is Chocolate Cake. 
That's it. Nothing else.

Never mind the fact that dude is so kindly asking me how he can 
accommodate my snacking needs, all I want is cake. Chocolate Cake.


So you can clearly see how this Crazy Cooking Challenge is right up my alley.
A delicious Chocolate Stout Cake recipe was found. A boozy cake with Peanut Butter 
Frosting for snack time - complete win! 

Cares

Here are the recipes:
Chocolate Stout Cake
(from gracessweetlife via Donna Hay)

3/4 C cocoa powder, sifted
1 C Young's Double Chocolate Stout
2 sticks (16 T) butter
2 C flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
2/3 C sour cream 

Preheat your oven to 325℉. Prepare two 8" cakes pans by lightly spraying with cooking spray and then dusting each with cocoa powder.

In a small bowl, sift your cocoa powder and set aside. Next, in a small sauce pan, combine your butter and stout. Heat pan over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Remove pan from the heat and whisk in your sifted cocoa powder. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together your flour and baking soda. Add in your sugar and whisk ingredients to incorporate. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together your eggs and sour cream. While still whisking, slowly pour in your stout mixture. Now add your flour mixture, one third at a time, and whisk to thoroughly combine.

Pour your batter evenly between the to cake pans and place into the oven. Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes or until a tester, inserted into the center of each cake, comes out clean. Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool 15-20 minutes. Remove cakes from their pans and cool completely before icing.

Peanut Butter Frosting
(from gracessweetlife via Donna Hay)

1 C Confectioner's sugar (powdered)
1 C smooth peanut butter
5 T butter, softened
1 t vanilla
1/3 C heavy cream

Sift your powdered sugar into a small bowl, set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, mix together your peanut butter, butter and vanilla until just combined. Add your powdered sugar and beat on medium speed for approximately 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.

Add your heavy cream and beat all ingredients for an additional 2 minutes. 

Ice your cake as desired. Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm right there with you - I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never baked with Stout before... no am very intrigued. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious sounding, and I love the way you frosted it. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I made the Black Magic Cake w/ White Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Also, I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm that looks delicious!

    Jennifer #19

    ReplyDelete
  6. After this challenge, you should always have your house stocked with chocolate cake!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks really good. I am going to gain weight just looking at these recipes. Come visit me. I am number 63

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ALMOST made chocolate stout cake, too ... but went with root beer cake instead. Your cake looks delicious! - love the peanut butter frosting choice. I'm with you on the adoring chocolate cake!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground (CCC #13)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have neve baked with chocolate stout. Love the sound of peanut butter icing. yummy andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun selection!!! I have a chocolate cake with alcohol, too ;-) :-)

    Love your pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm intrigued!! I've never had Stout Cake, and want to try some like now!! Thanks for sharing!

    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-magic-cake-with-pb-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to try this with the chocolate stout in it, very interesting.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. CUTE! Now he can get you a piece of Chocolate Cake! Everyday this week! :-) Thanks for participating in this challenge we've already had 17,000 hits in one day to the linky party. If you haven't had a chance already come check out my Whopper Cake (it's #1 in the linky party)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this. Stout cake and peanut butter frosting. You are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peanut butter and chocolate = love! What a super cake to snack on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks so moist and delicious with all that wonderful frosting running off the side, yum! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I love how you used PB frosting, PB and chohcolate just belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so good and I love your white cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chocolate stout? Sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That peanut butter frosting looks magical oozing out of the middle! I've seen recipes for chocolate stout or guiness cake... I'm intrigued to try it, especially with that frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cake looks quite a bit like my chocolate avocado cake. I adore the peanut butter frosting oh so delicious flavors mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed reading those beautiful comments. It seems very useful and informative for us. Keep posting more wonderful thoughts.

      Delete