Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, February 10, 2012

Chew on This | Cut Out Cookies

"Mom, I have a bubble in my ear," says The Boy to me several days ago. 
"Oh my, how did that happen?" I replied. 
"Well, it just kind of appeared there," he said. "I don't know how it happened. It just did. And it's bothering me" 
"Hmm, does your ear hurt?" I asked gingerly. 
"No, but the bubble hurts," The Boy said. 
"Oh, I see, the bubble hurts. Well, maybe we should have a professional check it out," I said. 
    

"Oh wait! Wait just one minute," The Boy shouted. "It's gone! The bubble is gone."
"Wow, what a surprise," I said. 
"I know! I swallowed and I must have swallowed the bubble out of my ear and now it's traveling to my tummy," The Boy said genuinely. "And you know what happens when you get a bubble in your tummy." Oh brother, here we go. "Gas, Mom. You get a gas bubble. And that is not good news."

Quite true.



Bubbles, of all types, aside, these are the only sugar-type cut out cookies that I make. I always make them for Christmas, Valentine's Day and pretty much every occasion that calls for a stellar, soft and delicious frosted cut out. Hope you love them as much as we do!

Cares

Here's our recipe:
Cut Out Cookies
3/4 butter, softened
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 egg
1 egg white
4 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
3/4 C buttermilk*

In a mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar until fluffy and light yellow in color. Add your egg, egg white and vanilla and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 

Begin adding your flour mixture and buttermilk to your butter mixture. Alternate adding a cup of the four mixture and then a splash of buttermilk, before mixing. This will help keep the dough moist and easier to work with.

When all of your ingredients are combined, divide your dough into three portions, shape into disks, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Allow the dough to chill for at least 2 hours. When your ready, roll out your dough on a floured surface and into your desired shapes. Bake your cookies in a preheated, 350℉ oven for 10-12 minutes or until very lightly browned just on the edges. Frost and enjoy!

*I very rarely have buttermilk in the house. I make my own and you can too!

Homemade Buttermilk
3/4 C milk
1 t white vinegar

Measure out your milk and add your vinegar. Allow this mixture to sit out (unrefrigerated) for at least 5 minutes before using it in this recipe. The milk will look funny (slight curdling) but is perfectly wonderful homemade buttermilk. Stir mixture gently just before using.

Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks butter, softened
3 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl often. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating slowly and scraping down sides of the bowl. When butter and all of your sugar is combined, add your vanilla. Mix to incorporate thoroughly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment