Home     About Us     Chew on This     Who Knew?     Pied Piper     Thoughts

Friday, January 31, 2014

Chew on This | Slow Cooked Chili

Just a quick visit today. I'm in the middle of several different things. These things are pulling at my attention and I can't quite truly focus on just one of them for any length of time. I keep zipping back and forth, back and forth.

I realize that nothing gets done in a timely fashion this way. I also realize that you probably think that I might be a bit scattered today. 

Why thank you. You'd be right.


But wait! I have completed one thing today - dinner. Whew. Making this Slow Cooked Chili (which would be a total win to make and serve for the Super Bowl this weekend) is a task that preps in minutes and is left to cook for hours, with very little assistance. Just the type of recipe I needed today! I have made this chili so often this fall/winter - it's delicious, filling, and pleases everyone in my house. 

Give yourself a break today and make this chili for dinner. If you're anything like me, you'll feel fully satisfied that you managed to start and finish something wonderful.


Cares

Here's our recipe:

Slow Cooked Chili

1 pound ground beef, cooked, browned, and drained
1/2 large sweet onion, diced
salt and pepper

1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel, mild with green chilies 
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 T hot sauce (I use Frank's)
1/2 C barbecue sauce (use your favorite store brand or homemade)
1/4 C ketchup
*2-3 T my chili seasoning or Penzey's Chili 9000 seasoning

Slow Cooker

Start this delicious chili by browning your ground beef in a pan. While meat is browning, add in your onion. Add salt and pepper to your taste. Once meat is browned and onions are soft, drain completely and then place meat and onions into the bowl of your slow cooker.

Top meat with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook your chili on low heat for 6-7 hours, stirring every couple of hours. Serve chili with corn bread and top chili with shredded cheddar, sour cream, green onions and/or corn chips. Enjoy!!

*If you don't have Penzey's Chili 9000 mix - no worries - combine the following ingredients for my version.

2 T chili powder
1 1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
1/8 t smoked paprika
1/8 t cayenne
1/8 t oregano
pinch cloves
pinch cinnamon
pinch ground ginger
pinch nutmeg

Mix together and add to your chili one tablespoon at a time, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment